Congress Graduate Merit Award (CGMA)
The Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences has received the financial support provided by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) in order to pilot the Congress Graduate Merit Award (CGMA) program in 2019-2020.
The CGMA is a merit-based award aimed at facilitating the participation of exceptional graduate students in Congress activities. The Federation will administer the Award in collaboration with the Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS) as one the scholarly associations planning to hold a conference during Congress 2020, at Western University.
The Congress Graduate Merit Award (CGMA) consists of a $500 prize amount and has two main objectives:
- As a merit-based award, it serves to recognize and celebrate the academic excellence of deserving graduate students who present their work at Congress; and
- The award’s financial value is primarily meant to help offset costs associated with participating in Congress.
Graduate candidates that wish to apply for the CGMA are invited to submit their applications directly to the Canadian Association of African Studies (CAAS).
CAAS will be responsible for reviewing all the applicants’ submissions it receives and determining whether the applicants meet all the eligibility criteria. When an applicant does meet all the criteria, CAAS will submit its endorsement of the applicant(s) to the Federation. The Federation will then review all of the CGMA submissions and notify associations of the acceptance/rejection of each submission within 15 business days of its receipt.
The number of CGMAs allocated to the CAAS for Congress 2020 is 10, each of a value of $500.
September 30, 2019 – April 17, 2020
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be graduate students (M.A., Ph.D) enrolled in a recognized post-secondary institution in Canada and abroad;
- Be in good academic standing
- Be members of CAAS
- Provide an abstract (up to 250 words max) of the research they propose to present at Congress 2020.
To apply to the award, please click here to fill the application form.
After CAAS have been notified of the acceptance of their endorsement application(s), a congratulatory letter will be emailed to both the endorsing association and to the successful graduate student(s) confirming their winning submission and other details.
- Payments will only be made to endorsed graduate recipients who attended Congress 2020 and picked up their badge from Congress Registration. The collection of the badge will serve as proof of attendance, and if a recipient’s badge is not picked up, the association will be required to provide alternate proof (e.g.: a letter from an executive within the association) of the recipient’s attendance.
- Payments to CGMA recipients will be issued no later than June 30, 2020.
- Payments will be in the form of a cheque and will be mailed directly to the recipient’s postal address as per the information provided in the application form.